About Chicken Biryani Recipe | Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani :
While chicken biryani is now savored in all parts of India, this version is a blending of Mughal and Andhra Pradesh Cuisines, and dates back to the royal kitchens of the Mughals, who ruled much of India for more than two centuries. The key to Hyderabad’s fragrant, signature rice dish is to cook the chicken and rice in an airtight pot on a very low flame, so the rice absorbs the rich flavors of the meat. The grains of rice should remain separate and unbroken.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Servings|
|20 mins for preparation|
2 hours to keep the marinated chicken
- Basmati Rice
- 6 Chicken Pieces
- Ginger- Garlic Paste
- 3 to 4 Green Chillies
- Food Color
- 1 Red Onion
- Bay Leaf
- 4 to 6 Black Cardamom pods
- 8 to 10 Green Cardamom pods
- 3 to 4 Star Anise
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 10 to 12 Cloves
- 2 tsp Shahi kala jeera/Cumin
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- Garam Masala
- Handful of Coriander Leaves
- Handful of Mint Leaves
1. Wash chicken pieces thoroughly using turmeric powder. This will help to remove blood clots present on the flesh.
2. Rinse it properly so as to remove most of the turmeric powder stick with chicken pieces and drain it.
3. To marinate, add 2 tsp of ginger-garlic paste, 2 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder, salt as per taste and 2 to 3 tbsp of fresh yogurt. Addition of all the ingredients may be varied as per your taste.
4. On top of it, add garam masala, brown red onions, a pinch of asafetida and 2 tsp Oil. This will add flavors to the biryani gravy. To make it more flavorsome, add mint leaves, coriander leaves and green chillies. Mix all the ingredients properly.
4. Add lime juice. Keep it for 15 minutes. Lime juice helps chicken to cook quickly.
To Boil The Rice:
1. Wash and rinse rice as per your requirement . This recipe will fill 3 to 4 tummies fully.
2. Boil 2 to 3 cups of water in a deep pan and add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, black Cardamom, cloves, star anise, green cardamom and shahi kala jeera. All this helps to make rice more aromatic and flavorsome.
3. Let the spiced water warm for few minutes. Once heated, add washed and drained rice to it.
4. Make sure rice is not cooked fully. It should be half cooked as half boiled rice is supposed to be cooked more with marinated chicken.
5. While boiling, prefer open deep bottomed pan instead of pressure cooker. One can also use electronic rice cooker as it’s easy to check if rice is cooked as per our requirement. Extra water can be drained and used later.
To make biryani:
1. Take a pressure cooker or utensils which are available in market specially for making biryani.
2. Grease its inner surface or layer with either oil or ghee. I prefer oil as my family don’t like taste of ghee. Use 2 to 3 tsp of olive oil or any vegetable oil for oiling the surface. This will help rice to not stick with the boundaries.
3. Add all the marinated chicken in the greased bottomed pan.
4. Now most important art of biryani making is to cook rice in layers. This helps to cook everything uniformly and ensures that the flavor of all the spices and chickens spread from top to bottom. So add first layer of spiced and flavored half boiled rice on top of marinated chicken.
5. Sprinkle a part of fried brown onions over the rice, mint leaves, coriander leaves and green food color. How everything is placed can be seen in the video below.
6. Pour second layer of rice uniformly and follow step 5 again.
7. Add orange color over the rice to make it colorful.
8. Finally, create third layer of the biryani rice by following steps 5 and 6.
9. One can use vegetables like carrot, cauli-flower and french beans to the biryani to make it more tasty.
10. If in case you don’t have the air tight container, use aluminum foil to cover the pot and use more than 3 layers of it. Finally cover it with the lid.
11. Heat the pot on medium flame for few minutes and then transfer it to the pan which is filled with boiled water as per the video. This will prevent burning of rice and biryani. Let it cook for some time.
12. And the aromatic hyderabadi chicken dum biryani is ready to be served. Serve it with Yogurt, raita and onion in vinegar. This is how we eat biryani in most of the part of India.
Hope you liked this recipe. Subscribe us on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more such delicious recipes.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group as well.