About Lauki ka Halwa Recipe | Dudhi Ka Halwa Recipe | Bottle Gourd Halwa Recipe:
Lauki ka halwa or dudhi ka halwa is one of the sweet dishes from India which is made from the vegetable known as Bottle Gourd or in hindi we call it as Lauki and in marathi it is known as dudhi. Usually we make various sabzi from lauki but I was not that big fan of it until I first ate this sweet and lip smacking halwa. You can also make halwa from few other vegetables like Carrot or Beetroot.
To make this, you have to first grate the lauki and cook this for around 15 to 20 mins until the raw smell of lauki goes away. And then you have to add milk and allow it cook. You actually don’t need to add khoya as you can add milk to the cooked lauki and heat it until the milk gets evaporated. This is really amazing where lauki can be used for sweet dish as well as in vegetable dishes. You can also make lauki ka kheer and soon I am going to show that as well. And for more halwa recipes, you can see Mixed Fruit Halwa or Papaya Halwa recipes.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Servings|
|15 mins||40 mins||3|
- 1 to 2 tsp of Ghee
- 5 Cups of Grated Bottle Gourd or Lauki or Dudhi
- 1 Glass of Milk
- 3 to 4 Cardamoms
- 1 tsp of Green Food Color (Optional)
- 1 tsp of Chironji
- 3 to 4 Almonds
- 1 to 2 tsp of Raisins (Kismis)
- 5 to 6 Cashews
- 1 Cup of Sugar
1. Heat around 1 to 2 tsp of ghee in a deep pan.
2. Once ghee melts completely and is hot, add grated lauki or dudhi or bottle gourd.
3. Fry/Cook this for around 15 mins until the raw smell of lauki goes away.
4. Once cooked, add 1 cup of milk, 2 to 3 cardamoms and mix it well with the lauki. Cover it with lid and allow it cook for another 10 to 15 mins until the milk gets evaporated.
5. If you want to bring a nice green color to the halwa then you can add 1 small tsp of green food color and mix it well. Cook it for another 2 mins.
6. Next add dry fruits like Almonds, Cashews, Chironji, Raisins to the mixture of cooked lauki and milk.
7. And finally add the most important ingredient – Sugar as per your taste. I prefer a more of sweet halwa so took 1 cup of Sugar.
8. Cook this until the Sugar melts and halwa becomes a little thick. Make sure to stir in between.
9. And the delicious, lip smacking lauki ka halwa will be ready. You can also make barfi from it by giving it a proper barfi shape and refrigerate it for an hour or so.
Hope you liked this recipe. Subscribe us on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more such delicious recipes.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group as well.