About Masala Chana Dal Recipe:
Masala Chana Dal is a dish which almost every one loves in my family except my husband. He doesn’t like dal at all, so for him I usually make different types of dishes from dal like Moongdal ke pakode, chana dal vada, chana dal pittha. But this is one of those recipes which is very close to me. Learnt from my mother, I love to have this with pulav or with fried rice. It tastes really yummy. To make it more delicious, I add indian spices like dry red chilli, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves. I prefer soaking chana dal atleast for an hour so that you can prepare it quickly and it becomes easy to digest as well. If in case you are using hard water, then would advise to add pinch of cooking soda. This helps in quickly softening the chana dal while cooking.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Servings|
|1 hour for soaking|
15 mins for preparation
|15 to 20 mins||4|
- 1 bowl of Chana Dal (bengal gram)
- 2 Chopped Onions
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 tsp of Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp of Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of Salt or as per your taste
- 1 tsp of Cumin Powder
- Water as per your need
- 2 to 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 4 to 5 Cloves
- 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds
- 1 big Cardamom
- 2 Green Cardamoms
1. Wash and Drain Chana Dal in luke warm water and keep it aside.
2. Heat 5 to 6 tsp of oil in a pressure cooker and add all the dry ingredients i.e. dry red chilli, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves, cumin seeds, black and green cardamom to the cooker. Let it fry until the aroma starts to rise.
3. Once all the dry ingredients are fried, add chopped onion and fry it until its color changes to little brown.
4. Add turmeric and ginger-garlic paste and saute it well.
5. Put salt, cumin powder and tomatoes to the rest of the spices and cook it well until oil starts to leave the spices.
6. Little amount of water can be added to avoid burning of spices.
7. Add washed chana dal and water as per requirement to the cooker and stir it well. Put the lid on the cooker and let it cook for 5 to 6 whistles or till its cooked.
8. And masala chana dal will be ready. Serve this hot with Jeera rice, chapatis. You can also use chana dal in making vegetables like cabbage curry.
Hope you liked this recipe. Subscribe us on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more such delicious recipes.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group as well.