About Chana Dal Vada Recipe:
This is another variant to my earlier Chana Dal recipes. Chana Dal Vada or Masala Dal Vada is a crunchy fritter which is one of the popular snacks of South India. I love to eat dal vada along with hot cup of tea and specially in the rainy season. In this you have to soak chana dal for around 2 to 3 hours before you blend it with Indian traditional spices. I had recently prepared this dish in my family gathering and well everyone liked it a lot. And I have already received the request from my niece to prepare it again. This is one of the popular street foods from South India. It goes very well with tea or chutney and occasionally serve with sambhar as well. So when you go to South India don’t forget to try this recipe.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Servings|
|3 hours to Soak Chana Dal|
15 mins to fry the spices and grind the dal
|10 mins||9 Vadas|
- 1 bowl Chana Dal (Bengal Gram Pulse)
- Salt as per taste
- 8 to 9 Green Chillies
- 1 Large Onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 9 to 10 Mint Leaves chopped (Phudina)
- 12 to 15 Curry Leaves chopped (Kaddi Patta)
- Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 2 to 3 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
1. Dry roast red chilli, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and cinnamon stick in a pan and grind it in a mixer to make a fine powder.
1. Soak chana dal for 2 to 3 hours in water. Wash it, drain it and grind it coarsely. Take it out in a separate bowl which will be later used for mixing with the spices.
1. Add grinded mixture of spices, chopped onion, chopped green chillies, salt, garam masala, chopped mint and chopped curry leaves in the batter and mix it properly.
2. Now add ginger-garlic paste to the batter and mix it again.
3. Oil the plate so that raw vadas do not break while picking it for frying.
4. From the batter, prepare vada as shown in the video. Make sure to grease your palm with oil before preparing vada so that vada doesn’t stick with your palm and will not break in pieces. Repeat this step to prepa vadas from the remaining batter.
1. Heat sufficient oil in a frying pan or kadai and gently slide the vadas in the oil.
2. Fry it until its color changes to little brown. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
3. Once fried, take it out in a plate and use kitchen towel or kitchen paper to soak extra oil present in the vada.
4. Delicious Chana Dal Vada will be ready. Serve it with hot tea and tomato ketchup, mint chutney, coriander-tomato chutney or curry leaves chutney.
Hope you liked this recipe. Subscribe us on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more such delicious recipes.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group as well.