About Kaddu Ki Sabzi Recipe:
Kaddu Ki Sabzi or Smashed Pumpkin recipe which I have listed over here is slightly different to the other recipes as I have added Saffron strands and Sugar to bring a nice texture and taste. The overall cooking time is slightly more as kaddu (pumpkin) takes some to cook properly before you mash. Kaddu fried with bay leaves, red chilli and fenugreek seeds makes it even more delicious. Would prefer using ripe Kaddu for this recipe. Since it is sweet in nature and we are adding sugar so would advise to add more of red chillies powder to make it spicy.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Servings|
|10 mins||20 to 30 mins||4|
- 500 gm of unpeeled Pumpkin cut in cubes (Kaddu/bhopla)
- 1 tsp Salt (Namak)
- 2 tsp Sugar (Chinni)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)
- Few strands of Saffron
- Water as needed
- 3 tsp Oil
1. Heat oil in a pan and when hot, add bay leaf, dry red chilli and fenugreek seeds. Fry it until fenugreek seeds starts to crackle.
2. Add kaddu (pumpkin) pieces cut in cubes to the pan and cook it on low flame.
3. Once kaddu starts to cook and become little mushy from the edges, add salt to it and cook it for another few minutes.
4. Put turmeric powder, red chilli powder and mango powder to the pulpy pumpkin pieces. Mix them properly. Keep stiring it to avoid burning. In case, if it burns then do not remove throw the burnt part but mix it in the dish. It gives little burnt taste which tastes good. Also cover it with lid to fasten the cooking process. Keep the flame low.
5. Take few strands of saffron in a bowl and add luke warm water in it. Mix it and add it to the sabji. This gives not only nice color but tastes good too.
6. Add Sugar to the cooked kaddu and mix it. This also helps to bring a nice texture to the dish. Also a nice aroma starts to rise when you add sugar to the dish.
7. Mash the kaddu (pumpkin). Do not mash it completely to form a paste. It should have lumps in it.
8. Put garam masala and mix it nicely. Cook it for few more minutes.
9. Yummy Pumpkin Vegetable will be ready. It tastes good with Puris and Parathas but I prefer it with steamed rice.
Hope you liked this recipe. Subscribe us on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more such delicious recipes.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group as well.