About Besan Kadhi Recipe:
Besan Kadhi is my all time favorite. I generally have it like a soup. The creamy and sour Kadhi with or without vegetable/pakodas tastes really good. I have learnt this from my mom. This recipe is from her cook-book and it’s really easy but takes some time to cook as it needs to be cooked until it becomes medium thick in viscosity. It worths, no matter how much time it takes. There is no use of vegetables or pakodas in this recipe. But you can surely add as per your taste.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Servings|
|10 mins||30 to 40 mins||4|
- 1.5 cup of full fat Sour Curd/Dahi/Yogurt or 5 big tsp of Curd
- 3 to 4 of cups of Water
- 1 tsp of Red Chilli Powder/Lal Mirch Powder
- 1 tsp of Turmeric Powder/Haldi
- Pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 to 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt as required
- 2 to 4 tsp of Besan (Gram Flour)
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 small tsp of Fenugreek Seeds/Methi Seeds
- 2 tsp of Oil
Preparing the curd mixture:
1. In a big bowl, take 2 tsp of gram flour, 1 tsp of red chilli powder, 1 tsp of turmeric powder and mix it properly. Add water to the mixture and whisk it again.
2. Add curd and around 3 to 4 glass of water to the mixture. Mix it well and make sure to use full fat sour curd. if the curd is not sour, then the kadhi will not be sour. If in case you are not able to find sour curd then you can add mango powder whilst cooking the kadhi. This will make your kadhi savory in taste.
3. Stir very well to make a smooth mixture without lumps. If there are lumps, then break them with a wired whisk or a spatula or with your fingers. keep the curd mixture aside. You can use a blender to make this mixture, but make sure you don’t over do it otherwise you will end up making butter instead of a smooth blended curd mixture.
Preparing the kadhi:
1. Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large pan. Make sure to use a large bottomed pot for cooking the kadhi because the curd mixture froths whilst cooking and can spill if you use a small pot.
2. Add 1 to 2 bay leaves, a pinch of asafoetida, 1 small tsp of fenugreek seeds and 1 dry red chilli and saute it well on low flame so as to avoid burning of spices.
3. Pour all the mixture of Kadhi in the pan and stir it well.
4. Increase the flame to medium and boil the kadhi. Keep on stirring often so that it doesn’t get burn from the bottom. Total time it will take to cook kadhi will be around 15 to 20 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, Kadhi should be thicken. Lower the flame at this stage. Add salt as per your taste and cook it for another 10-15 minutes.
Imp – Make sure to not add salt in any of the previous steps until we reach to Step 5.
6. Add hot water if Kadhi is too thick. Stir it gently. And the Besan Kadhi will be ready. Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve this hot with rice.
Hope you liked this recipe. Subscribe us on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more such delicious recipes.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group as well.