About Chana Dal Pittha Recipe:
Chana Dal Pittha recipe is one of the healthy dishes originated from North India. Last year, I had gone back to my native place and got to learn this recipe. Idea of steaming the dough stuffed with grinded Chana Dal spices without using oil is really unique. People like me who don’t love dal, this is one of those recipes which can make someone to give another thought of having it in the meals. I had recently prepared another moong dal pakodas which is one of the ways to consume dal. Click here to see the moong dal pakoda recipe. Making Chana Dal Pittha is really simple and is high in fiber and helps to lower the cholesterol.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Servings|
|5 hours to soak chana dal. 10 minutes to make the paste/batter||15 to 20 mins||4|
- 250 gm of Chana Dal soaked overnight in cold water
- 10 to 15 Garlic Cloves
- 10 to 15 Green Chillies
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder
- Water as needed
- Wheat flour for making dough
1. Soak chana dal overnight in cold water. Once soaked, drain the water completely and add in the grinder.
2. Add garlic cloves, green chillies, salt (as per taste), asafoetida, turmeric powder in the grider and make medium thick paste. Adjust the quantity of water accordingly. This will be used for stuffing.
3. Prepare the dough from wheat flour.
4. Make medium size pooris with thick base and stuff it with chana dal paste. Repeat this for all the pooris.
5. Take a steamer and add 1 cup of water. Place the stuffed pooris in the steamer and cover it properly with lid. Needless to worry if in case you don’t have steamer. You can watch my video – Steamed Fish with Mustard Paste where I have explained how you can make the steamer with the limited resources. Keep the stuffed pooris in steamer for 15 to 20 mins and chana dal pittha will be ready.
6. Serve this hot with tomato ketchup and coriander chutney.
Hope you liked this recipe. Subscribe us on YouTube and follow us on Facebook for more such delicious recipes.
You are invited to join our Facebook Group as well.